Dr Baoxiu Qi
Senior Research Associate/Lab Research Manager – Scott Lab3 South, 1.12 B.Qi@bath.ac.uk Tel.: 01225 38 5015 Fax: 01225 38 6779
1997- PhD in Plant Biology, Department of Biology & Biochemistry, University of Bath.
1989- MPhil in Plant Physiology and Biochemistry, Shandong Agricultural University, China.
1985- BSc (Hons) in Horticulture, Shandong Agricultural University, China.
2013-present: Research Associate/Research Manager in Plant Molecular Biology, University of Bath
2004 – 2013: Research Associate in Plant Molecular Biology, University of Bath
2000 – 2004: Postdoctoral Research Associate, University of Bristol
1998-2000: Research Scientist, National Institute of Fruit Tree Science, Japan
1991 – 1992: Senior Research Scientist, Shandong Fruit Tree Research Institute, China
1985 – 1988: Research Consultant, Shandong Junan Agricultural Bureau, China
2011 – present: Visiting Research Professor, Shandong Agricultural University, China
2006 – 2011: ‘Taishan Scholar’ distinguished Professor, Shandong Agricultural University, China
My main research interest is centred on plant fatty acids, specifically, 1. protein posttranslational lipid modification by palmitoylation in the regulation of protein trafficking and function in plant; and 2. the biosynthesis pathways of very long chain polyunsaturated fatty acids EPA and DHA (the main active ingredients in fish oils) and their production in transgenic crops.
Recent Publications (*corresponding author) – journal articles
- Xia F, Li X, Zheng D, Li Y, Hua J, Baoxiu Qi* (2016) Elevation of the yields of very long chain polyunsaturated fatty acids via codon optimization of the key enzymes (PLoS ONE, in Press)
- Li Y, Doughty J, Scott R, Grant M, Baoxiu Qi* (2015) Protein S-acyltransferase 14: a specific role for palmitoylation in leaf senescence in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 2015 Nov 4. pii: pp.00448.2015
- Yuan X, Li Y, Liu S, Li X, Baoxiu Qi* (2014) Accumulation of eicosapolyenoic acids enhances sensitivity to abscisic acid and mitigates the effects of drought in transgenic Arabidopsis thaliana. Journal of Experimental Botany 65:1637-1649
- Liu J, Ma Y, Sun Q, Wu X, Li X, Sun M, Li Y, Li X and Baoxiu Qi* (2014) Production of Very Long Chain Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids in Cotton. Acta Agronomica Sinica, 40: 86−92
- Baoxiu Qi*, Doughty J, Hooley R (2013) A Golgi and tonoplast localized S-acyl transferase is involved in cell expansion, cell division, vascular patterning and fertility in Arabidopsis. New Phytologist, 200:444-456
- Yuan X, Zhang S, Sun M, Liu S, Baoxiu Qi, Li X. (2013) Putative DHHC-Cysteine-Rich Domain S-Acyltransferase in Plants. PLoS ONE 8: e75985.
- Sun Q, Liu J., Li Y, Zhang Q, Shan S, Li X, Baoxiu Qi* (2013) Creation and validation of a widely applicable multiple gene transfer vector system for stable transformation in plant. Plant Molecular Biology, 83:391-404
- Liu J, Sun Q, Li X, Baoxiu Qi* (2013) Functional characterization of Isochrysis galbana Δ5 desaturase gene IgD5 in Arabidopsis thaliana. Acta Agronomica Sinica, 39: 928−934
- Sun Qi, Li X, Zheng D, Liu J, Li X, Baoxiu Qi* (2012) Isolation and functional analysis of a Δ5 desaturase gene from Isochrysis galbana. Acta Hydrobiologica Sinica, 36: 412-420
- Sun Q, Liu J, Zhang Q, Qing X, Dobson G, Li X, Baoxiu Qi* (2012) Characterization of three novel desaturases involved in the delta-6 desaturation pathways for polyunsaturated fatty acid biosynthesis from Phytophthora infestans. Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, 97:7689-7697
- Chen J, Dong H, Ma H, Sun Q, Liu J, Qi B, Li X, Dong S (2011) Comparison of Induction and Regeneration of Embryogenic Callus Initiated from Immature Embryos and Seedling-Derived Young Leaf Segments of Maize. Scientia Agricultura Sinica, 44: 3676-3682
- Sayanova O. Haslam R, Baoxiu Qi, Lazarus CM, Napier J A (2006) The alternative pathway C20 △8-desaturase from the non-photosynthetic organism Acanthamoeba catellanii is an atypical cytochrome b5-fusion desaturase. FEBS Letters, 580: 1946-1952
- Baoxiu Qi, Hooley, R (2005) Heterotrimeric G protein signalling pathways in Arabidopsis. Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology. Part A 141, S1
- Baoxiu Qi*, Fraser T, Mugford S, Dobson G, Sayanova O, Butler J, Napier JA, Stobart AK, Lazarus CM (2004) Production of very long chain polyunsaturated omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids in plants. Nature Biotechnology, 22: 739 – 745 (Recommended by Faculty of 1000)
- Fraser T, Baoxiu Qi (co-first author), Elhussein S, Chatrattanakunchai, S, Stobart AK, Lazarus CM (2004) Expression of the Isochrysis C18-Δ9 polyunsaturated fatty acid specific elongase component alters Arabidopsis glycerolipid profiles. Plant Physiology, 135: 859-866
- Napier JA, Sayanova O, Baoxiu Qi, Lazarus CM (2004) Progress toward the production of long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids in transgenic plants. Lipids, 39: 1067-1075
- Baoxiu Qi* (2004) Transgenic plants produce omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids. ISB News Report (http//www.isb.vt.edu, July 2004) (invited)
- Baoxiu Qi*, Fraser T, Bleakley C, Shaw E, Stobart AK, Lazarus CM (2003) The variant ‘his-box’ of the C18-D9-PUFA-specific elongase IgASE1 from Isochrysis galbana is essential for optimum enzyme activity. FEBS Letters, 547: 137-139
- Baoxiu Qi, Beaudoin F, Fraser T, Stobart AK, Napier JA, Lazarus CM (2002) Identification of a cDNA encoding a novel C18-delta9 polyunsaturated fatty acid-specific elongating activity from the docosahexaenoic acid (DHA)-producing microalga, Isochrysis galbana. FEBS Letters, 510: 159-165 (JIF: 3.478)
Recent Publications – Patents
- Functional identification and application of a Phytophthora infestans acyl CoA:diacylglycerol acyltransferase, DGAT2-4. November 19, 2014: CN20141066561.
- Cloning and application of delta 6 desaturase gene PinD6 of Phytophthora infestans. September 21, 2011: CN201110091053
- Functional identification and application of Phytophthora infestans Delta 12 desaturase gene PinD12. October 19, 2011: CN201110094579
- Functional identification and application of delta-5 desaturase gene PinD5 of Phytophthora infestans. October 19, 2011: CN201110094576
- Method for construction of multiple gene transfer vectors for plant transformation. April 8, 2009: CN200810160116
- Novel method for the production of polyunsaturated fatty acids. WO 2004/057001, A2. 2004, 7, 8.
- Novel Plant Acyltransferase Specific for Long-chained, Multiply Unsaturated Fatty Acids. WO 2004/087902, A2. 2004, 10, 14.
- New elongase gene and a process for the production of D9-polyunsaturated fatty acids. WO02/077213 A2. 2002, 10, 13